Production 2- Interviews

The interview with Unidos Now went amazing, I got so much quality information from their program. The only thing I regret is not having the idea of audio taping before the interview, I tried to type as she was talking without realizing that I was not going to be able to type as fast to record everything she was saying so the interview was half typed and half audio recorded. I learned so much from Unidos Now and I am actually interested in their FLA (Future Leaders Academy) program myself, which I will be applying to, this is one of the ways this project has impacted my life, without it, I wouldn't have known of it. I also realized the good that Unidos Now tries to bring to the Hispanic Community, it is actually a great program with many opportunities. 

For the interviews, I did had some questions written down but as the way the conversations went, I just followed along until ending on deep topics with the dreamers regarding their lives, fears and hopes they had before and after being under the protection of DACA, so in this way, I could juxtapose the before and after to be able to measure the effectiveness of the program. 

Lesley Trujillo was the first dreamer I interviewed, she is a UCF student from Orlando that used to live in Bradenton, reason why she was around Sarasota during this time (lucky me!). She was actually helped by Unidos Now which is great because adding that to my article would demonstrate the effectiveness of the program and will be a great way to tie the dreamers and Unidos Now together. 

Flavio Bazan; the interview with Flavio went well, I just wished he would have been more talkative therefore I had more to contribute to the article but the way it came out was fine as well. I did audiotape this one. He was not helped by Unidos Now, which was unfortunate but his story was still needed by my magazine.

Lucero Guzman; is a student from USF and what a great story! I was amazed, the amount of motivation and support from this girl's family was amazing and their backup plans, what a smart and motivated family. She told me about so many things with depth and details, her personal thoughts on the situation, and personal experiences. She contributed to my magazine with many quality information and I'm happy I got to include someone like her in the article.

Here are the recordings of the interviews, some of them were cut in half: 


When it was time to write them out to see the information I had recorded, it was such a long process since a 10-minute interview can simply fill three pages. I went into InDesign to see the amount of text I was going to be able to fit in and unfortunate, these amazing interviews are going to have to be cut out so much so here are the full interviews of the dreamers:












I ended up highlighting some of the information from Lucero's Guzman interview since they were so insightful. I am planning on using one of her sayings as a pull quote for the feature article. 




Comments