Preliminary Layout

This week I worked on my preliminary layout for my magazine, and this is what I came up with:


Masthead: I decided on a catchy Spanish slogan that would be understandable for English speakers as well. I thought about a simple word as "Ojo," which means eye since I could play with the name in terms of styling to come up with an eye-catching masthead; also, in most Spanish countries is used when wanting to say "reminder." I thought about the slogan "Buena Onda" as well; I am still thinking about how I would style it, but I want something that would make the person want to grab the magazine and make them feel attracted to it.


Main Image: I am still deciding whether I want to use an image representing a current event or celebrity to catch my reader or use-flags and pictures from Spanish countries. I am still not sure because my first option would make my magazine appear attractive. Even the second option would cause a sentimental appeal to the Spanish readers by looking at their culture being talked about. If I decide on a celebrity, I would have to make my way until contacting them and have the risk of not being able to meet up with them, reasons I am more for the image representing a current event.


Selling Line: I am still not sure, that will depend on my main image, but I want a line that my audience will remember and immediately relate to my magazine. I want it to mean going through culture to give an overview of the purpose. 


Typography/ Font: For my masthead, I want it to be bold but do not want to exaggerate, some simple font as this one to give it a professional approach and combine it with this one as well to provide it with a deeper dimension, and add some color, which I am still thinking about but will depend on the main image.

For the feature article's typography, I was thinking about something like this one because I want something simple and easy to read. After all, I want my audience to concentrate on the content itself and not be distracted as much in the typography while reading the articles but for them to know what they are reading. 


Feature Article Title/ Content/ Image/s: For my feature article topic, I was thinking about immigration-wise, something that is of interest for the Spanish community living in the U.S.

I was thinking about including one foreign cuisine recipe and its background for my content, and only one because I do not want cooking to take over a significant part of my magazine since it is not the central part of my concept. I would also like to include an article about the typical clothing in some of these countries and customs they usually execute for the holidays. Also, interviews with people will be the central part of my research. I was thinking about including pictures taken from immigrant families themselves and their typical dressings for the images as well.


Content Page Styling/ Article Title Ideas: For my content page, I was thinking about a symmetrical background kind of a collage and some faded images, maybe put the names of the articles in some flags symmetrically organized.

Overall, it is noticeable that my ideas are very vague at the moment; that is because my type of thinking develops when I am about to execute a product, reason why I predict that many of these suggestions will change as I edit my product, let's just trust the process!

Comments