Peer Pitch and Concept Refinement

One of these days in class, we had a little discussion on what out topics for our film or magazine would be to contribute with each other.

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine 

Genre 

Multicultural magazine 

Target Audience (Be specific) 

Spanish speakers living in the U.S  

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

My concept would be cultures from people’s original country living in the U.S, make them feel at home and that someone is talking about them. Through reading my magazine, people will learn about new cultures, including some typical food from these places and even some recipes, clothing, customs, the way people celebrate differently and could interview people from these places as well; therefore, not only Spanish speakers but also any kind of people can read it such as people who like to cook and more, in this way, achieving to reach a wider audience.

 

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

I wanted to combine my project with a piece of myself and highlight the Latino community living in the U.S since Hispanic wise in magazines there are not many options, the Telemundo magazine is like the only one recognizeavailable and is more MexicoColombia wise, I want to show off Spanish countries that form a big part of the Hispanic community but are not always mention as well. 

 

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

It's going to teach people about other cultures and other kinds of beings and their customs, what makes them different about each other in a special way and bring these people a piece of their home since they are far away from it. 

 

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

It will also be of interest to people who like to learn about other cultures and how they celebrate the holidays and places where they can travel, their food, clothing. My magazine will also make people feel represented within their own country. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

- Will have a wide audience.

- Interview with people from those places.

- Spanish references but will make sure is understandable to the English speakers.

- Make sure to mark the differences between the Hispanic countries because them being speaking Spanish doesn’t mean they all have the same culture.


The feedback I received made me feel very confident with my magazine concept. One of my classmates mentioned that my idea was going to attract a large audience. That served to reassure me that I was going in the right direction for my final project since multicultural magazines were not seen, as usual, primarily representing the U.S immigrants. Another idea I had in mind was to interview people from those countries and ask them personally how they celebrate because I am not from everywhere. Hence, the best way to do my research on those country's customs, in my opinion, was from first- hand account, and when I received the suggestion to do it, it served to me as an affirmation that I had an excellent way to make part of my research. 

Making it relevant and selling its relevance [1] is one of my main goals, the reason why I concentrated on the uniqueness of my concept, as there are other 7 357 magazines in the U.S [2].
According to the article "The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A Conversation with six black editors," Parneshia Jones said, "But what often happens in many situations of marginalization, those very people and voices who live/write beyond, outside, and against the margins, and are willing to break the fourth walls steeped in privilege and cultural limitations, are often some of the most brilliant contributors to art, culture, and humanity," which served as good proof to restate my point of going beyond cultural limitations, that is what is unique about my concept, it is going to reach people never addressed in these type of media before, it is going to be their method to feel represented, through my magazine.

I felt a necessity to forecast this concept on my magazine since I wanted to mark the difference for minority groups by linking it to a part of me; Paneshia Jones also said, "... it is a necessary channel for how humanity will move forward with the idea that the narrative is not beholden to a singular group of people ... no matter how much historical power or privilege they have", making a great point, we see all these magazines directed to entertain a particular group of people. We forget about the rest, full of history and exquisite culture that is yet to talk about.

To conclude, I will make my magazine mark a difference and be different; therefore, its relevance would be unique. From the feedback I received and the article just mentioned, I am confident with my concept; all is left is to elaborate a little more on it, specifics, and execute it.


1. Baysinger, S. (2019, November 07). Magazine publishing trends for 2020 – The alliance of print and digital. Retrieved November 23, 2020, from https://www.ovidbell.com/magazine-publishing-trends-for-2020-the-alliance-of-print-and-digital/ 
2. Watson, A. (2019, August 27). Topic: Magazine Industry. Retrieved November 23, 2020, from https://www.statista.com/topics/1265/magazines/ 

Comments