Not To Team
When offered the availability to work in a group for the portfolio project, the first things that came to mind were the words "relief" and "easier"; my first thoughts were "less-stress" and "work relief," but when I looked into depth to what working in a project its actually like and all the risks that there are to it, I started to have my doubts about if working in a group was a good idea.
The author Eli Becker wrote in her article "Team Building and group dynamics: creating and foresting a culture of teamwork requires trust, collaboration, and accountability" about Kleindl and "Her vision involved stabilizing a culture of trust, collaboration, and accountability..." to incorporate in her working team and how they achieved sustainable results. I gave two chances to the possibility of working on a team. The first one was through an activity named "Social Media Peer Account," where I got to follow this amazing girl on one of her social platforms; her name was Marissa Kempf, she is a senior, part of the track team. She likes to adventure herself into different destinations. Her purpose throughout her Instagram page for posting all those pictures was apparent; she wanted to portrait significant events in her life, it helped me get to know who she was and what she liked to do. The second chance I got was through an activity called the "Lost Sea," but I am not going to get into much depth into this one because more than half of the people in the group I worked with did not take the work seriously. These two activities made me realize that working in a group was too risky since according to Eli Becker in her article "Team Building and group dynamics: creating a foresting a culture of teamwork requires trust, collaboration, and accountability" and her comprehension of "... five distinct pillars of teamwork: trust, conflict, commitment, accountability, and results" helped me understand what the keys to productive teamwork are, and those type of relationships needed and ties with people was something I lacked from with my class peers; for instance, Marissa, incredible personality, entertaining to talk to, but I do not know her enough to tell if she is an accountable person and something I do not want to do is force unnecessary relationships with people because not only would that be awkward but also uncomfortable and would make the process even more challenging because if you do not have enough trust with the people you work with collectively there is a chance you might not be able to speak out your mind and opinions most of the time.
According to author Georgina Coburn from the article "Collective action: Collaboration, rebellion, creative dialogue: Surrealism as ideological defiance," she mentions: "Reconnecting with the work of the Surrealists, the origins of their work and their pursuit of freedom is more than a matter of aesthetics." I have always particularly been intrigued by surrealist art pieces because, as Georgina Coburn explained, its the way these artists have to project their roots, their origins, their fears, opinions, thoughts; surrealism has a deeper meaning than just aesthetics and for me to reflect my personal views and personal traits through my work is facilitated by working off alone because if working in a group, how do you fit more than three people's mindset into one concise piece of work? Furthermore, not having to depend on anyone is another benefit that I took into consideration; in this way, being entirely responsible for my whole grade and not others pushes me to work harder to impress.
Based on my reasoning, working off alone is the best suit for me to have more effective results; no distractions, no dependency, full decision-making, and availability to portrait my full personal view through the project are the benefits that pushed me to this decision making.
Comments
Post a Comment