Creativity and Genre
My main focus when writing my magazine is for it to be visually and contently attractive to my reader; that is why I decided to base my magazine on a general interest genre; therefore, my work gets to reach a broader audience type.
I am a very frustrated person when it comes to being creative on purpose. Something I plan to do to start getting my ideas out along my way through the media studies course is interacting with naive experts; according to the Ted Talk named "The Theory of Creativity" performed by Duncan Wardle, these naive experts will "say the last embarrassing question that you're too proud to ask, they'll throw out the audacious idea that you're too proud to throw out," which would be very useful to me since expanding my thinking in a way that is easier for me to bring up thoughts from my head in a quicker way is what I am lacking. On the other hand, what I am concern about is the reaction of the public to my ideas; according to author Michael F. Shaugnessy in the article "An Interview with Rhon Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life," he thinks that "... is important to recognize that creative behavior is risky behavior. This is because we are not sure how our creative actions will turn out or how our creative efforts will be experienced by others." This is because people have different ways to perceive things, and what is pleasing for one could not be for the other, but what I am trying to achieve here is an appeal to the majority.
I want my magazine not only to be eye attractive but also for my content to be enjoyable to read, easy to read, interesting to read. To achieve it, I am planning on using drop caps and pull quotes on my feature article since I feel this is a very didactic way of getting the reader engaged; for instance, if they are going through the magazine and read one outstanding pulled quote that resulted intriguing to them, it might as well get them to read the whole argument, which is what I am trying to achieve. Going on the cover aspect, I am still deciding whether I want an aesthetic established tone throughout the whole magazine (Vogue Magazine) or more colorful, vivids, and could say "playful" tones for the theme through it (GQ Magazine). I am also planning into including cover lines to try and cover every article from within the inside, just like Vogue Magazine executes, unlike GQ's magazine special edition with the American rapper: Travis Scott, and this because I believe if you only give out what piece of your content on the first impression, how are people going to buy it if they don't know what they are being offered in a quick read? magazine covers are like an overview of the whole magazine since it impacts the most by being the first impression the reader gets, then for this, I want to achieve a pretty concise, easy to understand, visually entertaining cover. Authors from both Vogue and GQ magazines do excellent jobs at accomplishing their mission statements and, with their team, project it to their audience.
Last but not least, the main thing I want to incorporate into my magazine is a piece of myself. In class, we made an activity named "New Introductions," which made me feel uncomfortable because a lot of the information we gave out was not only a lot, but it was not information you get to know from a person the first instance you meet them, its information you get to learn within time from a person, if that were the real way we introduced ourselves to people, some people would think we are pretty strange for giving out that much of personal information at once. I want to write about something that I am passionate about, something that I care for; an example of this, and at my top consideration is doing an immigration magazine, directed to the immigrants, about the immigrants, by an immigrant. Immigration is something that touches me deeply since its a process I went through; it affected me emotionally as much as any other, and I could not be more grateful for the opportunities I was blessed with and all the eye-openings I got from that experience about people itself, culture, emotional reactions, culture identity, racism, language-wise, and much more.
In the end, I feel that an immigration magazine is the best fit for me; it's a topic I am passionate about, it's something that identifies me, and is something I can easily elaborate from. Also, an immigrant magazine is unusual to see; there are many immigrants but not enough recognition. I want my product to be unique for being something you would not usually see, and I am on my way to get there.

Comments
Post a Comment